Last Updated: 5/14/2020
Important COVID-19 information:
Instructions for how to have your packages shipped to you in Canada:
Please be aware the costs involved with shipping packages from the U.S. to Canada using UPS or Fedex can be significant. You would be totally responsible for arranging and paying all of the shipping costs on your own
- The CBI Customer lobby closed on March 19th 2020 and will remain closed until the border officially reopens. However, we are still here daily forwarding packages and responding to customer emails.
- We are unfortunately out of storage space, and because we anticipated that, we made the decision that will could no longer accept packages after May 8th 2020. If your order was already in process prior to May 8th 2020 we will still receive it. For all new orders placed after May 8th, you can continue to ship to us if you have the package forwarded to you, or picked up by someone who is able to cross the border as soon as possible. (please see instructions below if you would like to take advantage of this service.)
- Once the border officially re-opens, we will notify all customers when you can resume sending packages to CBI.
- In regards to storage fees: For packages received prior to March 26th 2020 we will be extending the 180 day no storage fee grace period by the number of days between March 19th 2020 (when we were forced to close the customer lobby) and the date when the border reopens. For packages received on March 26th 2020 or later we will not be extending the free storage grace period. This includes large freight/oversized shipments that incur daily storage fees from the date of first being received.
To give you an idea of the cost that UPS or Fedex would charge here are a couple of examples using UPS and FedEx standard rates:
A 5 lbs (2.26 kg) box that is 10" x 10" x 10" (26 cm x 26 cm x 26 cm) shipping from CBI to a business address in downtown Toronto would cost approximately $33 USD with UPS Standard Ground Service or $34 USD for Fedex International Ground. This does not include any applicable Duties that the Canadian Government may impose.
When it comes to pricing it is important to realize that the size of the overall box is the biggest factor. Heavier packages will only slightly increase the price. For example, if the same 10"x10"x10" box weighed 10 lbs vs 5 lbs the price only goes up by about $3 USD.
However if the size of the box increases to 20" x 20" x 20" (51 cm x 51 cm x 51 cm) and is still only 5 lbs (2.26 kg) the price jumps from $33 USD to $93 USD for UPS Standard Ground or from $34 USD to $105 USD for FedEx International Ground.
Some customers who have a large number of packages or have very large or heavy items have found in some cases that it is more economical to contract with a 3rd party cross border transportation company instead of using UPS or FedEx.
Please understand that in addition to the shipping cost charged by UPS, FedEx or a 3rd party to get your box from CBI to Canada, you would still need to pay your normal CBI pickup fees including oversize or storage fees.
Also, because of all the extra handling involved (consolidating, packing, weighing, measuring, emailing, etc.) we will need to charge a processing fee that starts at $9.95 for 1 small parcel.
If you feel all of the costs are justified and you would like to start the process of having your packages shipped to you, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line put "SHIPPING TO CANADA".
You must include the following information:
1) Your Name
2) Your Email Address
3) Your Phone Number
4) Your PBM #
5) A list of tracking numbers you would like to have us send. You can easily find all of your packages we have on our shelves by logging into our tracking portal.
Upon receiving your email we will pull the requested packages from the shelf, consolidate them (into 1 box or multiple if required), and calculate the dimensions and weight. This is the information you need to create and pay for a prepaid shipping label with Fedex or UPS, USPS, DHL or a third party freight carrier.
We will also calculate all the CBI costs including your normal pickup costs (i.e. $5.95 or $1.80 for annual membership customers) per package plus any applicable Oversize Fees and/or Storage fees. We will also need to include a processing fee starting at $9.95 for 1 small parcel.
Once you have all that information you should be able to create your shipping label using the UPS, FedEx, USPS, DHL or third party freight carrier website. You will also be required to create a commercial invoice since it will be an international shipment.
Please refer to the following links for details of how to create that commercial invoice:
Guide to creating Commercial Invoice for UPS
Guide to creating Commercial Invoice for FedEx
Once you have emailed us your prepaid label and commercial invoice, we will forward you a CBI invoice with the capability of paying with PayPal or a credit card. After we receive payment, we will ship your package.
Please note that to be in compliance with shipping regulations ALL packages (no exceptions) being shipped will be opened and inspected prior to shipment to make sure the items match the commercial invoice you send us. We WILL NOT ship any prohibited/dangerous goods items. Please be aware this includes lithium ion batteries that are not physically installed in a device.